August 06, 2013

Photo of the Week: Aug. 7, 2013


HOW I GOT THE SHOT: I am often asked to work early in the morning in the Old City of Jerusalem. I enjoy these assignments because I arrive as the day is just awakening and take an opportunity to pray by the Kotel before my clients show up. Parking near the old city is limited so I usually walk from Mount Zion down to the Kotel, taking a different route each time in the hope of discovering something new.

I have written many times how the Old City never lacks for charm and beauty and good photographic subjects abound all year long. On this particular July morning, as soon as I drew near to Zion Gate, a powerful burst of color grabbed my attention. This shot works well because all three of the main color tones work very well together. There is just a tad of early morning light kissing the tops of the olive trees and skimming across the foreground to set the red flowers alight. It’s impossible to tell from this composition, but this section of wall stood between a messy archaeological dig and the parking lot, but with some clear thinking and creative cropping, I was able to unearth my own relic while en route to document another family’s memorable moments.

Feel free to share this email with all the photography buffs in your life.
TECHNICAL DATA: Camera: Nikon D300, handheld, manual exposure, center-weighted metering mode, f9 at 1/200th sec., ISO 400. Raw file converted to Jpeg. Lens: Nikon 28-105 zoom at 28 mm. Date: July 23, 2009, 6:45 a.m. Location: Mt. Zion, Jerusalem.