December 01, 2007

Photo of the Week: Nov. 11, 2007

HOW I GOT THE SHOT: Satisfying landscape photographs are among the hardest to create because you need a good location and to arrive when there is good light. Getting to this site required rising while it was still dark and driving about 25 minutes to the edge of this reservoir, which I had spotted the day before. As I walked along the shoreline, I passed over many nice shots with plants growing up from the water. I finally settled on this image with the added dimension created by the canopy of leaves along the top. This compositional technique, known as framing, is dynamic and easy to use outdoors. I like this frame in particular because of the contrast between the dark tree leaves and the warm, first light on the water plants.

No comments: